Jim Fisher has more than 40 years experience in regional planning in the US and abroad. His areas of expertise include community development, public health, and transportation. He has extensive experience in public administration, planning, demographic analysis, survey design, finance and budgeting, website design, statistics, management information systems, and geographic information systems.
EDUCATION: Ph.D. in Regional Planning, University of North Carolina (1993)
Master of Regional Planning, University of North Carolina (1986)
Bachelor of Arts, Sociology, Bowdoin College (1979)
- Public Administration: Three years serving as Town Manager for Deer Isle, Maine. Professor of planning, public administration and social science at the University of Cincinnati, Bates College and University of Maine-Augusta.
- Transportation: Prepared corridor plans for Maine Department of Transportation, including four scenic byway corridor management plans, highway needs assessments, bicycle and pedestrian plans, passenger and freight analyses. Facilitated regional planning meetings, conducted public outreach and created paper and web-based surveys for transportation priorities.
- Public Health: Prepared regional health assessments, substance abuse prevention plans, and demographic analyses. Hosted a monthly radio program, “Common Health” featuring a wide range of public health topics. Co-authored Multilevel Models: SAS Applications, pending publication.
- Community Development: Provided data and mapping assistance for non-BRAC Navy base-closure, participated in numerous regional development initiatives in the US and abroad.
- Land Use and GIS: Prepared GIS maps for town comprehensive plans, corridor plans, environmental assessments and location analyses. Conducted community surveys for planning, providing survey design, implementation, data analysis and reporting.
Current and Past Positions
- Deer Isle Town Manager (2018 – present)
- Public Health Coordinator, MaineCDC 2016-17
- Peace Corps Response Volunteer for Economic Development, Aracataca, Colombia 2015-16
- Adjunct Professor of Sociology – Univ. of Maine-Augusta and Eastern Maine Community College
- Planner, Hancock County Planning Commission, Ellsworth, Maine 1999 – 2015, 2017
- Research Director, Market Decisions South Portland, Maine (1999)
- Manager of Research, Central Maine Power/MainePower, Augusta, Maine 1996 – 98
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology, Bates College. Lewiston, Maine 1995-96
- Research Director/Asst Professor, School of Medicine, Wright State University. Dayton, OH 1991-95
- Assistant Professor, Department of Planning, University of Cincinnati. Cincinnati, OH 1989 – 1991
- USAID Research Consultant, Monrovia, Liberia and Cochabamba, Bolivia 1987, 1988
- U.S. Fulbright-Hayes Scholar, Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee, Dhaka 1984-1986
- Planning Intern, City of Wilson, North Carolina (1984)
- ESL and Health Outreach, Migrant and Seasonal Farmworkers Association. Raleigh, NC 1982-1984
- U.S. Peace Corps Volunteer, Ministry of Agriculture. Ambato, Ecuador 1979 – 1981
Publications and Presentations:
Publications, reports and presentations available upon request. Jim Fisher manages several websites where his work is viewable. These include: www.townofdeerisle.org, www.hcpcme.org, www.acadiabyway.org, www.blackwoodsbyway.org